Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Salisbury Elementary Grade 3 Hike The Mapleton Acadian Forest Trail












At the beginning of June my grandson, Austin, asked if I would come and join his class on a field trip. I have attended most all his class trips and thought, 'sure, why not.' So on June 15, 2007 to celebrate the end of the school year, Mrs. Pykes's grade three students and Ms. Carty's grade three students, along with a few parents and one fat granny rode the bus to the Mapleton Road just outside of Elgin. Here the fresh young students clamoured out of the bus ready to do the Mapleton Acadian Forest Trail.

Off the bus I came last, complete with my sun hat, hiking boots, walking stick and a bottle of water. I was ready, or so I thought. It would not have been too bad had I been able to pace myself and go at my own speed, but, I at least had to make an effort to keep up with the young students from the Salisbury Elementary School. But it is wise to have someone come up at the rear and as I'm sure you have guessed, I, the fat granny, pulled up at the rear, like way back.

To say the least, the trail was wonderful and all the students enjoyed reading the interpretive signs along the well marked trail. The plant life was vast and the trees majestic and labeled to add to the students learning experience.

The Mapleton Acadain Forest Trail is an interpretive nature trail near Elgin. It was constructed and is maintained by the Elgin Eco Association. The trail provided an opportunity to learn about the Acadian Forest and how it responds to a variety of human disturbances. The trail features nine interpretive signs and two footbridges. It crosses a wide variety of forest types and conditions.

Along the trail you will see a recent clear-cut section, a dark spruce forest, old abandon fields, old forests, white birch and Jack Pine stands, shady streams with rocks covered in moss, if your lucky you may spot flying overhead a Northern Flying Squirrel, and you will visit the spot where once Manganese was mined.

I learned allot and took some great pictures, that added to why I pulled up at the rear too. I will do the trail again, but will take along some older fat folk that will be able to keep up with me.

In closing, I would like to say what a fine group of well behaved young students these children are. Their teachers are to be commended for doing such a fine job of teaching not only reading, writing and arithmetic, but a healthy curiosity and respect for the nature around them.

To learn more about The Mapleton Acadian Forest Trail, check out the Elgin Eco Association's web site: www.elgineco.com

2 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If its company your lookng for than I'm our girl, I would love to bring the boys along. I didnt even know that there was a trail tere. We will have to check it out for sure.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

longchamp handbags
coach outlet
polo ralph lauren
michael kors handbags
hockey jerseys
coach outlet online
ugg outlet
oakley sunglasses canada
ugg outlet online
air jordan shoes
2016.12.8chenlixiang

 

Post a Comment

<< Home